Finland has uniquely high-quality biobanks, cutting-edge genomics research and conditions that enable scaling the results globally.
Implementation of genomics in health care can be carried out in Finland in a cost-effective and comprehensive way, and much sooner than in most other populations. Finland is thus uniquely suited to pioneer these efforts due to enormous advantages:
- Existing high-quality national biobanks of 100,000s of people with comprehensive clinical follow-up data covering up to 40 years. 200,000 DNAs available today.
- Long traditions of genomic research with existing database of genome-wide information for 8,000 individual Finnish genomes sequenced and 50,000 genotyped.
- A unique genetically homogeneous population of a significant size (5.4 Million).
- EMRs and disease registry data covering the entire nation, allowing deep phenotyping.
- Opportunity to pilot nationwide preventive and therapeutic efforts in a highly educated population, with an opportunity to analyze financial implications of interventions.
Multinational enterprises have possibility to adapt their ICT systems, contribute to an expandable and exportable genomic medicine platform, and get a world-class reference case to showcase their technologies and capabilities.
Helsinki Business Hub helps to create a globally leading healthcare platform and facilitate nation-wide adoption of genomics in health care.
Contact Helsinki Business Hub business advisor Indrek Vainu for more information.